Monday 31 December 2012

Damage Control



Last time in the blog i posted unpainted pictures of my Chaos lord. I've spent the last couple of days doing very little besides playing Halo 4 and painting him, along the way however I came to a realisation. I did not like his converted shoulder pad. It looked amatuerish and out of place.

It's like the skull has a weird hair cut
I spent a little bit of time agonising over how i would repair the damage done, most of my options involving having to physically saw the shoulder off. Fortunately however i was able to pry most of the green stuff and the skull off the shoulder leaving a relatively undamaged shoulder pad underneath. a little bit of knife work and i was able to clear off the unwanted iconography as well.






Looks better already. Sometimes you've got to know when things aren't going well and take action. This was done mostly with a hobby knife, I think my thumb lost some skin at some point along the way.

this photo also shows the additional spikes from the chaos tank sprue that i used for his trophy rack. I felt the Tyranid Warrior's head was somewhat out of place so made suitable replacements. keeping the spikes angled correctly while the glue dried was probably the hardest part of the whole conversion.



Almost there. I need to buy some Hawk Turquise or what ever it is called now to tarnish the gold parts of the model. I tried washing them with warplock bronze (tin bits) but it didn't give the desirable patina effect i was hoping for. I'm not entirely sure about the Eyes either. I was hoping for something angrier and more menacing. perhaps a brighter colour would help?

No comments:

Post a Comment